Wednesday 10 February 2010

WINOL - Semester 2

This week was the re launch of WINOL - Winchester News Online. I'm not going to lie, being given the new role of news reporter absolutely terrified me! I don't say that easily... but I was scared! Scared of being the one to mess up, the one to let people down but I thought what the hell! A new role, more hands on a chance to really put in some good work. I was nervous but looking forward to it!
We had our first weekly news meeting at twelve on monday. This is where we discussed ideas that we had for the upcoming bulletin. Ideally we should probably have a few ideas or even have something already rolling just incase our initial idea falls through and we're left with nothing as we discovered on Tuesday when pretty much every story had been left dead in the water. Myself and the news editor decided it might be a good idea for me to book out a camera and go and film the universitys 'green day' as part of 'Go Green Week', my beat was the union and the students so as this had been organised by an events management student it was a good idea for me to cover.
I booked out a camera and went to see what I could film (after a refreshment on cameras given by Kayleigh James). As expected there were a few stalls but... something that might be fun! An energy bike. Surely if I got shots of a student on the bike it may make the package a bit more interesting! We managed to get the student union president on the bike, but unfortunately I did not use as much of this as i should have in the package. I thought that my package might have needed to be a bit serious as I didn't know it was going to be an 'An Finally..." peice. So I didn't really use much of the light hearted footage I filmed.
I decided to get an interview with the organiser and also the environment manager for the university. Unfortunately the first interview was over exposed and then when I went back to redo the interview it was too dark!! I decided to use the darker one as it was the better interview to use. Although I feel like it has taught me to always go with the prefect location and always to check the camera!
So the time eventually came to edit it. In all honesty once I was out filming the time flew by and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be (minus the one dodgy interview). With careful planning it would have been much better! Editing it... was going to be a different story. I literally sat there in front of the computor like 'OHHHHHH SHOOT' with probably more choice language. I didn't know what I was doing! Luckily my lovely group mates were one hand to answer any question and eventually I had the hang of it! "Lucy its literally just A and B" as Kayleigh AND Catherine had told me. And it was! Once I had the hang of it I literally got it edited inside a day and managed to get my voiceover and headline done the next day. Although in future i'll make sure I need a headline clip I will do it first, just so its the best bit! My voiceover was a bit quiet so i've decided to book out a camera and practice with the audio levels just so I can test out what works best in different situations. I think nerves didn't help the voice over too much which is something I WILL learn to control!!
There are LOADS of things I have to work on next week but Brian suggested that we take one thing that we're week on and kick it completely. Which is what I aim to do. On the brighter side... Loads of people said I sounded well posh! HAHAA!

No comments:

Post a Comment