Sunday 28 February 2010

WINOL - Week Three

Week three... ALREADY! So this week I was informed that I was going to be the presenter for sports! EEK. I know what you're thinking... "Oh no!" Do you know how i know that? Becuase I thought the EXACT same thing!
I went to the news meeting Monday morning, but before anything kicked off I was asked by the news editor to go and sit in on a meeting of the Hampshire cabinet. I was quite nervous. I hadn't done it before and could picture myself saying something pretty stupid and being laughed out of the place! I was greeted by the press officer who introduced me to a few of the members and then the meeting kicked off, not before the head of the meeting welcomed me (all very embarrassing when everyone turns to look at you and your fumbling with an umbrella!) but I smiled and the meeting began! Mostly they were talking about reaching 80% of the targets that had been set for them and what they were going to do with the reward grants that were given to them. So I took a few notes and then came back to the newsroom. I missed the meeting unfortunately but had been told by the union president that there was a staff and student car parking forum that I could cover on Tuesday afternoon. I booked out a camera and tripod and went down there. Tommy Geddes was holding the meeting and was discussing the new park and ride opening in April. I got a few GV's and an interview with the guy in charge of campus travel etc and managed to get a good clip of him talking about how they had huge trouble with parking and that it was massively in demand.
There was one problem. I was presenter so I was unable to do a PTC or a voice over. Myself and the news editor decided to make it a nib. But because we made this decision so last minute I had already edited it as a VT so there were silent gaps on either side of the interview for a voiceover where usually it should just be an interview at the end. Because I had to practice the script and do run throughs I had no time to write a script or do timing so I left that to another member of the team. A mistake as when it came to the bulletin the timing was off and the script was not long enough for the presenter to cover the silent parts of the nib.
However, the studio element of the bulletin is improving week by week (no i'm not just saying that because I was one of the presenters) production members had said it felt alot calmer and although I was nervous, when it came to the live broadcast I was feeling alot more confident. All it came down to was being calm and reading the autocue slowly and clearly. If I had panicked it would have been a completely different story!
Well done this week! Hope it goes just as smooth in the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment